Mind~Body~Spirit~Health~Wellbeing~Complementary & Alternative Medicine~and More…
As for the recipe, here it is. All measures are approximate and should be adjusted to taste. Use organic produce if available. Warm and wonderful, especially with a slice of crusty bread!
Hearty Vegetable Bean Soup
– 8 cups of filtered water
– 1 24-oz box of Pomi brand chopped tomatoes (the box is BPA-free packaging)
– 2/3 – ¾ lb total of dried black and kidney beans
– 1/3 cup dried lentils
– 6 stalks celery, chopped
– 2-3 medium carrots shaved with a peeler
– 1 medium zucchini, chopped
– 1 medium red pepper, chopped
– ½ of a large Mayan or other sweet onion , chopped
– 4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped or pressed
– 2 TBSP of good quality olive oil
– 2-3 TBSP of Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Soup Base
– Spice Hunter Poultry Grill and Broil seasoning to taste
– Dried, ground coriander to taste
– 2 medium bay leaves
– splash of good quality red wine
Sort the black and kidney beans on a clean towel, removing any stones or debris. Rinse thoroughly, and then place in a large pot and cover with two inches of cold water. Bring to a boil for two minutes and then turn off the heat and let beans sit in hot water for approximately one hour. In the meanwhile, pick through and rinse the lentils and set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium-low heat, and add to it chopped garlic, onion, carrots, red pepper, celery and zucchini. Add the bay leaves. Cook until vegetables are softened, stirring frequently.
After the beans have soaked for an hour, drain, rinse, and return to the pot, adding the 8 cups of filtered water, chopped tomatoes, bouillon, and dried spices. Add the lentils, sautéed vegetables, and wine. Bring to a boil, stir, and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans and lentils are tender (about 20 minutes). Adjust seasoning to taste. Enjoy!